Monday 9 November 2009

"This Blog...theres...something wrong with it..."

I would have posted this earlier, but I thought I'd lost my flash drive when I actually had it on me. Fun times.


The main thing I'm happy with producing this week seeing as we weren't set any topics) is the cutout animation. I started making this thing sometime before the day, as I only really wanted to practice the movement for a better one (which, providing I can get it made, will also be posted).





I was really surprised by how much I actually liked the look of this animation, and I think it's down to the fact cut-out animations seem to make up a large percentage of the old-fashioned animations I used to watch when I was a kid (Mr Ben, Monty Python and er, South Park, which I probably shouldn't have watched). I think cutout animations seem to come across as being particularly antiquated which I suppose could be a bad thing but I personally like how close they can get to zoetropes and silhouettes in terms of aesthetic appearance without losing something in the transistion to a digital medium.


Here's the longer one I only just completed (although I was kicked out of the studio,so it isn't completely done). There were going to be more things in it, but it really needs to wait until I get back from bradford before I can start putting the pauses and the like in it so it's a bit jumpy currently. I did start when the bird tries to jump up.



The look of this was based heavily on Okami, which is one of my favourite games, and is specifically where I copied the cloud design from. I certainly want to try animating in this style again, although if I could put sound to it I'd be much happier.



I'll reedit this post at another date and put all the pretty reference images in and everything, but not right now as it's very very late and my brain might possibly asplode.



I have also been producing little pixel people, short two frame animated GIFs that don't take much in the way of skill, so I've been doing as many as possible. here's an exapmple of one, although I suspect it won't move. If it doesn't then I need to upload the lot of them on to DA.




It worked! Here's another one-





Finally, for a proper bit of art, here's a picture I was sketching out in Photoshop ( I practice this character every so often to try and improve drawing human faces. It's still in a manga style I'm afraid).




No comments:

Post a Comment