Saturday 20 March 2010

Staving off madness

I've been blogging a lot recently haven't I? I must be lonely or something.

Anyway, I must be one of the few people who haven't jumped at the chance of travelling back home mainly because I live locally, which means my holiday will mainly consist of nothing but playing Muramasa:The Demon Blade and catching up on my old Neo issues that have started to fill up my flat (not that they're any good though, is it just me or is modern Anime getting more and more banal?), so not having access to the software limits my aility to do any actual animation. So, I came up with a plan, ahar har.


I'm going to outline the sort of things I'd like to be doing over the holiday, although as with anything I plan to do there is a 25% chance and less that it will actually get done.

FLASH

I did enjoy doing the lip sync but I think I didn't experiment with the program as much as I could have done, particularly with things such as using bones and motion paths. I've had a few ideas of animations, some based on dreams that I'd like to make animatics for. I can sort of summarise it into 4 things-


1) Rejection Girl was meant to be a gif but I think an swf or mov file would be far easier to make and less labour intensive than on photoshop, and considering I already have the background images coloured this should be made pretty easily. Hell, if I find a decent sound file of very bad crying I could lip sync it for extra practice.


2) Ka-ramel Dansen (I just thought of that and now I think it's great) would probably be ten times easier as a flash made animation. I'm pretty certain the majority of the ones on youtube must be made with something similar, but I still don't want to use the guides you see going around. The proportions are horrible! Doesn't anyone tailor it beyond the costume?


3) Hands was an idea I got from eating toast and looking up at my ceiling. It's one of those ideas that I won't be able to tell if I really like or not until I make an animatic of it to see if it works, but it's quite music-video like and isn't really plot or joke based unlike a lot of my stuff.


4) Fat man was a nightmare that sort of creeped me out, which is unusual for my normal dreams and it didn't make a lot of sense, but I remembered the look of the creatures really well when I woke up.

MAYA


I do plan to use the maya program more before I eventually head off home, mainly to build more interiors for practice and personal projects. I'm still waiting for my sister to send something across, but I have a few rooms I plan to make myself, I just need to get the designs done before I commit anything on to the program, as I learnt last time. I think this time I'll also make a point of making textures from scratch for the image rather than relying on stock, as most of the rooms I'm planning would have a more cartoony texture than something imitating life.


GIFS

I haven't given up on these things yet! I still want to make more, and after learning where the grids are in photoshop I might be able to make some pixel style art that is accurate and doesn't require me to resize every. Single. Time.


STORYBOARD


After Derek and Kathy mentioned doing a storyboard based on a piece of literature, such as a fairy tale or something similar, I thought I might look into that, although I hate most fairy tales for how moronically stupid and unjustified they are. Literature wise, I'd really like to do a short storyboard of the Harlan Ellison short story "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", mainly because the computer AM has such an intense hatred of humanity and the description of the wasteland is so bleak it would be interesting in trying to convey such a sense of hopelessness through drawings (and compared to the action packed script of Knightrider this would be the complete opposite for me).


COMICS AND MISCELLANEOUS


I'm still trying to get more drawings done, particularly with a focus on Foxfire seeing as it's update schedule is so appallingly bad. I skipped a lot of life drawing this term, so I might spend a few hours copying people online if the weather stays as gloomy. I'd like to get quite abit done towards lifedrawing because I think anatomy and backgrounds are probably my two largest failing.

This should hopefully be the last blog for a while, because I've been updating so much recently that I'm becoming the blog equivalent of email spam. Whether any of the things I've outlined above end up being made or not, I'll have to wait and see.
This has been quite a picture-light post hasn't it? Sorry. If stuff gets done, it'll be posted in the newer blogs. The shorter, more colourful blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment